Listen to Influence
The I in Team Podcast
Listen in Google Play
Listen in Apple
Listen on TuneIn
Listen on Stitcher
Listen on iHeartRadio
Listen on Spotify
11/01/2019 Be Your Influence – Sneak Peek at Be the “I” in Team
Synopsis: Mary discusses justification, being humble, balance, and happiness; these topics are covered in the second book of The I in Team Series, Be the “I” in Team.
• Show your team you are willing to take accountability by being humble
• Find balance to have a better influence
• Allow happiness to remain an emotion to avoid it as a pitfall
10/25/2019 Build Your Influence
Synopsis: Brian and Mary tour Groundbreak, Procore’s yearly conference. They discuss the conference, Procore, and the future of technology better connecting consumers.
• Procore is changing the way blue collar industries communicate with clients
• Procore listens to challenges users have through their Innovation Lab
• Procore aims to have a positive influence by empowering and supporting employees
10/18/2020 Know Your Influence – Teinnova
Synopsis: Brian interviews Armando and Maria at Teinnova in Logroño, Spain.
• Teinnova is working on a way to clean the inside of wine barrels
• Changing the kitchen exhaust cleaning industry’s mentality in the USA has been a hurdle for Teinnova and Omni Containment Systems
• Teinnova is a green company; they have solar panels on their headquarters’ roof
10/11/2019 What is a business consultant?
Synopsis: Brian and Mary discuss the nuances of business consultants, the types of business consulting IA Business Advisors offer, and when you might need one.
• Not all business consultants do the same thing, they each have a specialty or multiple specialties
• Two of the costliest things you can do is jump to conclusions or make assumptions
• Business consultants are great to have whenever you have a doubt or question regarding your organization
10/04/2019 Using Positive Influence for Constructive Criticism
Synopsis: Brian and Mary discuss the difference between criticism and constructive criticism, as well as how to give and receive constructive criticism.
• When delivering constructive criticism be sure to listen as much as you talk and ensure the other party understands what you are saying from your perspective
• The best influence you have when taking action is good and honest communication
• Be positive and have a plan to help the person receiving constructive criticism
09/27/2019 Positive & Negative Team Influence
Synopsis: Brian and Mary discuss the traits of positive and negative team members and how those team members affect company culture.
• The foundation of being a good team member is good communication and cooperation
• Stay open minded and flexible when starting a new relationship
• Good team members will help keep others accountable
09/13/2019 Manage Your Influence
Synopsis: Brian and Mary discuss how to manage the fine line between personal and professional relationships through care, thought, and planning.
• There is a kind way to tell those you care about that they aren’t performing well
• Setting expectations is part of building relationships
• Don’t let past negative relationships influence new relationships negatively
09/06/2019 Influence in Autopilot – From the Vault
Synopsis: With another episode from the vault, Brian and Mary discuss how being in subconscious mode (or autopilot) can lead to mistakes and disrupt workflow.
• Subconscious mode (autopilot) can take us away from the present moment
• There is a time and place to be in autopilot, it’s not at work
• Mistakes are made in autopilot
08/30/2019 Slow Down Your Influence – From the Vault
Synopsis: With another episode from the vault, Brian and Mary discuss the importance of slowing down, staying in the moment, and maintaining situational awareness.
• Slow down to realize your full, positive influence
• Slowing down can actually help you achieve more
• We are individual, alone, and Individual, together
08/23/2019 Balance Your Influence
Synopsis: Brian and Mary discuss creating and maintaining balance in your organization and in your life.
• Staying balanced as a leader is important because your team looks up to you
• Keeping your internal and external business balanced is imperative to success
• Change can create imbalance until the change has been fully implemented
08/16/2019 Customize Your Influence – Personal Growth
Synopsis: Mary discusses how to have positive personal growth when faced with opportunity, crisis, differing opinions/perspectives, and difficult environments.
• Try to learn from those who don’t have the same opinions as you
• Personal growth comes from understanding our own life experience and being open to understanding others
• Hard and negative experiences help us push our boundaries to grow into better humans
08/09/2019 Practice Your Influence – Consistency
Synopsis: Leonard Rice, special guest and close friend, joins Brian and Mary to discuss what it means to be consistent and how we can achieve consistency.
• The only thing consistent in your life is inconsistency
• A person can have six different reactions to one experience depending on their perception of the experience at that time
• Setting expectations is important in remaining consistent
08/02/2019 Know Your Influence – First Impressions
Synopsis: Brian and Mary discuss what influences our first impressions of others and how we can have a positive first impression on others.
• Image and attitude are the foundation of first impressions
• Have an open heart, mind, and employ empathy when dealing with first impressions
• Fix a bad first impression with honest, open communication
07/26/2019 Know Your Influence – First Impression of Next Week’s Show
Synopsis: A short episode, Brian and Mary begin the discussion of first impressions and being consistent. Both of these topics are discussed in more detail in later episodes.
• Learn more about first impressions in our full episode from 08/02/2019
• Learn more about consistency in our full episode from 08/09/2019
07/19/2019 Know Your Influence – From the Vault
Synopsis: Brian and Mary revisit some of their earlier recordings before The I in Team Podcast was formed to discuss slowing down, thinking forward, environmental urgency, and immediate gratification.
• The introduction of technology into our lives has made us require immediate gratification
• Prepare your environments for your day to promote focus and success
• Slow down to maintain control over your tank of willpower
07/12/2019 Know Your Influence – Elevate Your Influence
Synopsis: Norm Hays, founder and president of Elevated Construction, joins Brian and Mary to discuss the company’s influential presence in the commercial building industry.
• Lead by example, work hard, and be passionate about what you do
• Employees need to feel special, important, and valued so they can bring their best to the clients
• People come first; people are the foundation of any business
07/05/2019 Know Your Influence – Mid-week Holiday Challenges
Synopsis: A common challenge for businesses today is mid-week holidays (holidays between Tuesday & Thursday). Brian discusses the impact these holidays have on companies and companies’ culture.
• There is a crash in momentum and productivity when there is a mid-week holiday
• Planning ahead for mid-week holidays can help curb some of the negative effects
• Set the expectation for your clients by notifying them about shutting down for a mid-week holiday
06/28/2019 Find Your Influence – Time Management
Synopsis: Brian and Mary discuss time as a tangible asset and liability, giving tools and advice on how to have great time management in your life.
• You need to understand the environments you’re working in and the distractions that face you day-to-day to better manage your time
• As a leader, help your team develop their own, personal method for time management
• Keep an organized schedule so you can look at your week and know what is coming up
06/21/2019 Know Your Influence – Community Event Influence The Arts
Synopsis: Brian and Mary interview local artists and food vendors at Art on the Fox. Art on the Fox is produced by the Village of Algonquin and the Algonquin Public Arts Commission.
• Pulp Painting is paint made from plant fibers that are gently positioned to create a piece of art as its own piece of paper, rather than painting onto a canvas
• Photography can turn ordinary, everyday objects into something magical
• A burl is unregulated growth on a tree that makes beautiful swirly patterns in the wood’s growth
06/14/2019 Know Your Influence – The Customer Experience
Synopsis: David Avrin, author of five books, joins Brian and Mary for a discussion on the customer experience and how that is different from customer service.
• Millennials are trying to break into the work force by creating solutions to needs that are already met
• Companies are adjusting to meet their customers’ changing needs
• Emotions play a factor in your decision-making skills
06/07/2019 Spa Influence with Tammy Coakley
Synopsis:Tammy Coakley is a local business owner and founder. Her Aveda Salon, Spa Bleu, has been recognized as a Top 200 Salon by Salon Today.
• The power of touch can make a big difference and help others to relax and open up
• Tammy learned the important lesson of slowing down from jumping into multiple business to quickly
• Each person learns differently, and that is why it is important to coach everyone individually as well as in a group
05/31/2019 – Find the “I” in Team – Discovering Your Influence
Synopsis: As the first episode of The I in Team Podcast, Brian and Mary share their definition of the word “individual.” This episode sets the stage for future podcasts.
• Individual Advantages means that each person’s unique strengths can help a team be better
• Context drives perception and perception drives everyone
• Influence and prosperity are uniquely measured by each individual person